Brake system car parts – all important information about operating method, mounting, diagnostics and service life
Brake system of the car performs speed reduction, stops the vehicle, ensure its static position for a long period of time.
Types of brake system
- Service brake system.It performs the function of speed reduction and stopping the car.
- Emergency brake system.In case of incorrect operation or failure of the service brake system emergency brake system performs its function.
- Parking brake system.It provides a static position of the vehicle for a certain period of time.
Construction of the brake system
- Pipeline loop “left front, right rear brakes.”
- Signaling device.
- Pipeline loop “right front, left rear brakes.”
- Tank of the main brake cylinder.
- The main brake cylinder.
- Vacuum brake booster.
- Brake pedal.
- Pressure regulator.
- Parking brake cable.
- Rear wheel brake mechanism.
- Adjusting nozzle of the parking brake.
- Parking brake lever.
- Front wheel brake mechanism.
- It is necessary to control the brake fluid level. The mark max – that’s what you have to pay attention at. Control intervals – every 10 000 km. If necessary, top up the brake fluid. Replacement intervals- every 40 000-50 000 km.
- Inspection of the brake pads and checking the effectiveness of their work every 10 000 km will not be superfluous.
- Check the tank lid of the liquid tank, namely a vent hole. There should not be debris or mud in it.
- The surface of the brake pads friction linings should be cleaned from contaminants. The presence of grease is a signal to check the seals.
- Parking brake, rear brake, brake pads and pressure regulator should be checked every 25 000 km.
- It is necessary to check whether the hoses hurt other parts when turning a steering wheel.
- Periodically carry out the inspection of pipelines and hoses for any damage or bulging and presence of moisture at the joints.
- Vacuum pump control is carried out every 30 000 km, at least 1 time in 3 years.
Brake system failure
- worn-out condition, the deformation of the surface of the disc;
- worn-out condition, damage or pads greasing;
- jamming of the piston of the working cylinder;
- weakening the fastener, deformation of the brake caliper;
- unstable operation of the main cylinder piston of the brake actuator;
- leakage of brake fluid in the working cylinder;
- mechanical damage or debris getting into the hoses and pipes;
- leakage of fluid in the main cylinder of actuator;
- the air in the system due to fastener weakening;
- low level of vacuum in the intake manifold of vacuum amplifier;
- incorrect operation of the servo valve amplifier;
- damage of the vacuum hose.
Signs of brake system failure
- the car does not keep the trajectory of moving when slowing down;
- considerable pedal clearance;
- presence of extraneous sounds during braking;
- less efforts when pressing the pedal;
- more efforts when pressing the pedal;
- vibration of pedal when slowing down;
- low level of brake fluid in the reservoir;
- activity of brake fluid level warning light;
- activity of pad wear indicator light;
- activity of ABS fault indicator light;
- activity of ESP (ASR) fault indicator light.
Causes of brake system failure
- disregard of service terms;
- use of low-quality components;
- use of low quality brake fluid;
- disregard of terms of details’ service life;
- the impact of various external factors.
Brake system repair
As a rule, repair of brake system means replacement of the brakes, namely of specific parts of the system: disc, pads, calipers, hoses and pipes, cylinders, parking brake cable. Besides, to restore the proper functioning of the system one should carry out pumping the brakes, their adjustment, carry out the brake check on the stand. If you have relevant knowledge and experience in the repair and have the necessary equipment, carrying out of independent repair is appropriate. But the best option is to apply to qualified specialists. Employees of specialized services will carry out professional diagnostic and quickly solve the problem.
TRUSTED CAR, TRUCK AND ACCESSORY BRANDS IN STOCK